Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiDas > 2006 Ford Freestar , got a spare used 1...
2006 Ford Freestar , got a spare used 104 pin PCM from a 2007 Ford Freestar today

4389 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: 2015-07-07 07:17:17

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2015-07-01 02:12:37
     In cold weather the van intermittently wouldn't  crank and theft light flashes and had PATS codes B1600-FF, B1602-FF, and B1681-FF.Tried a new PATS transceiver that did not resolve the concern, and when  it happens , it does it with all the keys for the vehicle. I reinstalled original transceiver and managed to get it to crank and start after removing the PCM connector , blowing off signs of condensation and removing and reinstalling PCM connector. In April I had van for a check engine light and the PATS system would not allow it to crank no matter what i did . I was about to tell the customer he has to tow it to Ford for a new PCM, but it started later after it sat a few hours.
      It was back yesterday running poorly but no PATS codes, replaced the coil pack, spark plugs and EGR valve-(ESM) assembly w-BARO sensor and all is well again.
      I got the cheap used PCM out of a California spec 07 Freestar and was hoping I could at least program the PATS keys to the used PCM with the DS708 where van will run and drive , then remove it and then reinstall the original and keep a working spare. Is this even possible to do?

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2015-07-01 19:32:55 (Reply to:witsend)

it is possible to do pats only, however my concern will be is that the correct hardware for that vehicle being that it is a different year and you can not flash it, part number is crucial here.the next issue will be a check engine light and abs light on for vin mismatch. in the event that you can do pats you will also need to do parameter reset and of course 2 keys must be present, unless you have the sbb,ck-100/200 tool that will allow you to start it with 1 key in this case that you have a used pcm.  do you have a passthru by any chance?

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2015-07-01 21:14:52 (Reply to:ede65)
     I don't have a pass through device .The only thing I have is  a DS 708 with expired  Ford software V9.00 that still has all the factory logos and apparently has  PATS key programming functions for an established pcm after a 10 minute security access but I don't know if it offers a Parameter Reset function or not if I put a used PCM in it . Some one I know said that if you program the keys to a  used pcm  to have a spare working pcm , then when you remove it to store away and put the original pcm back in the van, the original pcm will not work and you will have to program the keys to original PCM and do a parameter reset for it to work again and then the spare used one won't start vehicle again. I'm thinking   a Parameter reset is performed first to establish pcm communication to the network, before any keys can be programmed.
      Not sure I can trust a DS708  to get a used Ford  pcm  recognized and keys programmed, and there's no sense doing it if I end up disabling the original ,LOL. When the original PCM  dies and the van don't start , then I 'll see if the DS708  can make things happen or not

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2015-07-01 21:35:39 (Reply to:witsend)

yes I don't trust it either, seen too many issues with pats and the 708, even the maxisys. yes wait until it dies then program the spare, but you should not have any issues using both pcm,  you don't have to program back and forth anything, both pcm will have the same key and secret key stored and there shouldn't be any issue swapping them, except one of them does not have the same vin number and probably a different part number and calibration number or tear tag number, and that could cause an issue. but don't try it just in case the tool won't work.
    but if you were able to program the new  pats transceiver you shouldn't have any problem programming pats keys i will think.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend
    2015-07-02 12:21:08 (Reply to:ede65)
     Thanks for your input Ede, have a good 4th of July

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2015-07-02 15:47:52 (Reply to:witsend)

thanks buddy  you too.

•   Level 6   
    (475) points
    J Gutz

2015-07-06 20:19:20 (Reply to:witsend)

Witsend, I think the person who told you that is correct, if you program keys to a different PCM you lose PATS on previous PCM. Seems like you will have to go through the same PATS procedure every time you change PCM, at least on some vehicles. It happened to me on a 2004 Ford Taurus when installed and programmed a reman PCM that turned out to be a bad one as it was throwing a code for some non existent sensor, when I put back the original PCM with (original VIN) it would not start and I had to do the PATS procedure again. On the first reman PCM I just reflashed and did PATS relearn afterwards. When I got a second reman PCM I selected "replace PCM" within FMP instead  it flashed only, skipped the PATS procedure and car started after reflash, I had to keep previous PCM connected till instructed to replace it. You could do a Programmable Module Installation with Ford Module Programming(FMP) using a J2534, it might skip the PATS procedure if you select PCM replacement instead of just flashing because it will take info from previous PCM and transfer it to replacement PCM, but the original must be functional.

•   Level 6   
    (475) points
    J Gutz

2015-07-06 20:49:18 (Reply to:ede65)

In my case I had to do PATS back and forth on two PCMs, but it might be just some vehicles. FMP skipped PATS with the third PCM as I selected "replace PCM" instead.

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2015-07-07 07:17:17 (Reply to:J Gutz)

Yes that is the case many times, but you will noticed the security light flashing fast just
    cycle both keys without starting the vehicle, it will then reset and start. But can't
    remember which ones either since I have done it once or twice and long ago, usually
    after the replacement of a pcm one hardly ever goes back to the previous one, can't
    say for sure. try it on your next one.
  Total1 Pages